Friday, 6 January 2017

WORLD FOOD DAY IN PORT HARCOURT.BY OVIEZAKUME OBONNA

Hello, my name is Oviezakume Obonna a fun loving, hardworking,and adventurous person. I will be writing a Blog titled Destination Port harcourt. 


                     Oviezakume Obonna


I was born in Port Harcourt , and I have been away for a long time.


 I am back to my city! I would be blogging on the events, places,entertainment space and what is hot!I want the World to see my city through my eyes for the beauty she possesses and the many opportunities that exist for the discerning, dogged, unbiased, hardworking and fun loving people.


Agri-business is one of the things I do for a living. Recently, my Farm was invited for the World Food Day, which is celebrated on the 16th of October globally.This time it took place on the 17th because the 16th was a Sunday. It was celebrated at the famous Isaac Boro Park in Port Harcourt, Rivers State- Nigeria. 








                       Visitors at a farmer's stand

                                                      

All the Stakeholders in the Agricultural sector were ably represented. It was platform for all the stakeholders to be at their best. 


                                Palm Oil, Fresh Fruit Bunches and Nigerian dried Smoked dried Fish.


On display were all types and shapes of farm produce at pocket friendly prices. The buyers were spoilt for choice, and the farmers smiled home.



                                                                       Farmers Stands


The latest machines and tools were also on display for the benefit of all the farmers and the general public. The academia were not left out they were ably represented and they gave useful information to the farmers on improving and sustaining their productivity. 



                               Smoked dried Catfish



There were also different culinary skills on display for the benefit of our stomachs. The  adventurous food tasters I am sure  had a wonderful day.


I look forward to that of 2017. I would love the organizers to create more buzz with all the platforms at their disposal. 

This will enable more participation from all stakeholders. The benefits will also be enjoyed by more people. 

More creativity is needed to appreciate and exploit the benefits of this event.


According to the Food and Agriculture organization of the United Nations


Climate is changing. Food and agriculture must too

''One of the biggest issues related to climate change is food security. The world’s poorest - many of whom are farmers, fishers and pastoralists - are being hit hardest by higher temperatures and an increasing frequency in weather-related disasters."

Growing food in a sustainable way means adopting practices that produce more with less in the same area of land and use natural resources wisely. It also means reducing food losses before the final product or retail stage through a number of initiatives including better harvesting, storage, packing, transport, infrastructure, market mechanisms, as well as institutional and legal frameworks.
This is why our global message for World Food Day 2016 is “Climate is changing. Food and agriculture must too.”

By strengthening the resilience of smallholder farmers, we can guarantee food security for the planet’s increasingly hungry global population also reduce emissions." 
You can check out more information at their website

Let's talk about Port Harcourt. Tell me your stories and I will blog about it! Contact me on 
ovieobonna@gmail.com
like destination portharcourt on
                         www.facebook/destinationportharcourt
follow me on           twitter.com/destinationphc lets continue this conversation on Port Harcourt.

The world is your Oyster!

                                            Oviezakume.

No comments:

Post a Comment